Hemp As Growing Sector In Indian Economy
There is exciting news for the Hemp industry announced by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. FSSAI announced that it now recognizes hemp oil and seed products like food.
In the official statement by the Gazette of India published on 15th November, FSSAI released an official statement that hemp seed and seed products are now considered a food source. Hemp oil and seeds products are now regarded as edible products approved as food under the Food Safety and Standards in 5th Amendment Regulations.
Why does FSSAI include hemp in the category of food?
Hemp is used in food supplements, brewages, fabric, and other food items. In India, under section 10 of the Indian Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances act of 1985, the state government has the authority to license cultivation of cannabis for medical and scientific purposes.
Many startups have been collaborating to create a domestic market for innovative products like hemp paper, biofuel, and hempcrete in recent years. Hemp as food is a whole plant-based protein, and with the new initiative of veganism, hemp products are used as one of the best protein substitutes for non – vegetarian products.
The notification issued by hemp seed, hemp seed oil, and hemp seed flour is to be:
- Sold as Food
- Used as an ingredient in food for sale.
FSSAI also mentioned that the whole levels of THC, CBD, and other cannabinoids, along with instructions for proper labeling of hemp seeds and seed items, are included in this notification.
The news brings a massive opportunity for the hemp sector in India. Using hemp seed, oil, and flour as a food source or main ingredient can lead to groundbreaking innovations in the health food product sector. This news creates many job opportunities for millions of people.
FSSAI Included Hemp Oil, Seed Products as in Food Category
The official Gazette of India issued the notifications as:
Hemp Seed and products-
- For serving the purpose of its regulations, hemp seed includes the hulled and non – viable source that is extracted from Cannabis Sativa and other indigenous Cannabis species. The farming of Cannabis species for hemp seed in India complies with Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act 1985 and rules decided under.
- The hemp seed, seed oil, and seed flour will be sold as food or used main ingredients in food for sale subject to confirmation by the following standards:
a.) Hemp Seed:
|Moisture, percent m/m Max
|Total THC, mg/kg Max
|Fat, percent m/m, Min
|Protein (N x 62.5)% m/m Min
|Ash % m/m Max.
b.) Oil Extracted From Hemp Seeds:
|Total THC4, mg/kg, Max.
|Free fatty acid (expressed asOleic Acid), percent m/m,
|Peroxide value, mEq/kg, Max.
c.) Hemp seed flour means solid product after the seed is converted to powder with or without oil extraction. The flour prepared from hemp seed has been pressed to extract oil that is clearly labeled as ‘Deoiled hemp seed flour.’
|Total THC, mg/Kg, Max
c.) The whole THC should not exceed 0.2 mg/kg in any beverages made from hemp seeds.
d.) Any selling food items made from hemp seed or seed products shall not exceed the total THC content of 5 mg/kg.
- 3. The contamination of cannabidiol (CBD) in any food for sales consisting of hemp seed shall not exceed 75 mg/kg.
- 4. The selling food consists of hemp seed or seed item that is not marked or otherwise shown for sale in a form that expressly or by regulations suggests that the product has a psychoactive effect.
- 5. The labeling of food products prepared using hemp or hemp seed should mention ‘hemp.’
- 6. Cannabinoids6 in any food for sale include hemp seed or seed products, shall only present organically in or on the seeds.
- 7. The labeling of food include hemp seed or seed products for sale shall not contain:
- A nutrient content claim about cannabidiol
- Representation of any part of the Cannabis plant (including the plant’s leaf) besides seed.
- The words similar cannabis or marijuana or other with similar meaning.
- Health about cannabidiol.
8. No individual can produce, import, or sell any product, including hemp seed or seed products intended for administration to infants up to 24 months.
It has been exciting news for the entire hemp industry globally as soon the hemp seed, oil, and floor are readily available in supermarkets. HempInIndia being the reputed company involved in the cultivation, manufacturing and export of Hemp based products is looking forward to expanding our Hemp based activities to support the Food industry by supplying more hemp made healthy edibles to the customers.